Humans aren’t the only ones who benefit from the balancing power of CBD, pets too! Read on to find out how CBD could restore your pet’s joie de vivre, as we delve into the research around six conditions.
CBD for pets
Just like us, our beloved pets have an endocannabinoid system (ECS), a vast network responsible for controlling functions like digestion, mood, and sleep. And, where there is an ECS, there is the potential for CBD to influence physical and mental well-being. Luckily, this principle applies to all cats and dogs: big, small, young or old.
Whether you own a cat or can’t imagine life without your canine companion, CBD could play a crucial role in keeping your pet feeling great and looking great. If you’re interested in using the power of cannabidiol to improve your pet’s well-being, here’s a summary of its potential for six health problems.
1. Joint problems
Unfortunately, joint pain and mobility problems are common in many dogs, especially large breeds such as Labradors, Retrievers, and German Shepherds. Although, in most cases, controlling your weight and eating a healthy diet can help keep symptoms under control, it doesn’t hurt to lend your friend a hand.
Luckily, that’s precisely what researchers at Baylor College of Medicine thought when they evaluated the therapeutic potential of cannabidiol (CBD) in dogs with arthritis. As part of a double-blind, placebo-controlled study, researchers tested regular CBD and liposomal CBD in dogs with osteoarthritis.
After four weeks, the researchers found that CBD “increased motility in a dose-dependent manner.” Basically, the more severe the symptoms, the higher the dose of CBD needed. This study also noted that there were “no significant detrimental effects of CBD administration.”
2. Seizures and epilepsy
In humans, CBD and epilepsy have an important relationship. The evidence is increasing, from the use of Epidiolex (a version of CBD approved by the US Food and Drug Administration) in children affected by treatment-resistant epilepsy, to a large number of reviews exhaustive on the subject.
Therefore, it is hoped that the similarity of the mechanism of action means that this compound could be just as effective in pets.
Fortunately, researchers at the Colorado College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences have made an important breakthrough, examining the impact of CBD on dogs with intractable idiopathic epilepsy.
Although the sample size was small, the results indicated that CBD use did not produce “adverse behavioral effects.”
Just like with humans, pets can also experience anxiety at any time. Some animals become anxious when traveling, while others become agitated by loud noises, such as thunderstorms or fireworks. But whatever the cause of a pet’s anxiety, most of the time it results in unwanted behavior. At best, this could be destroying his favorite toy, but it could also be something much worse.
An observational study on domestic dogs showed favorable results among those given a CBD-infused pet treat. After two weeks, the dog owners reported that the proprietary blend of CBD and other nutraceuticals had the “potential to decrease negative dog behaviors” while encouraging play. Additionally, this study is one of the few that also examined dosing, finding that the dog’s weight influenced the recommended amount of daily snacks.
The impact of chronic stress is just as severe for our pets as it is for us, and over time, it can contribute to various mood disorders and behavior problems. The first step in treating a pet affected by chronic stress is to look for the signs.
No doubt you will know your pet better than anyone, but there are several key indications such as withdrawal, aggression, loss of appetite and increased sleepiness. If you spot these behaviors, the good news is that CBD could be instrumental in treating stress-induced mood disorders.
A study from the University of São Paulo, despite not being specific to cats and dogs, highlights a mechanism of action that could be applied to our beloved pets. The study suggests that once we better understand how CBD affects depressive symptoms, we can better tailor the effects of the cannabinoid in humans and pets.
Although specific studies on the effect of CBD on allergy symptoms are lacking, what is partly known are the possible effects of this compound on the immune system. These effects, combined with CBD’s excellent synergy with other ingredients, make it a great candidate for alleviating allergy symptoms.
The most effective formulation will depend on the type of allergy (flea, food, or environmental) and the method of administration. A 2018 study found that in order to treat these problems, it is crucial that the method of administration of the cannabinoid is tailored to the symptoms. For example, if an allergy manifests as red, inflamed skin, you should apply a cannabinoid-infused cream/lotion for best results.
6. The dream
Although it seems that dogs and cats can sleep at any time and place, the truth is that they can suffer from sleep problems. Pets with narcolepsy and REM sleep disorders often require specialized treatment, but if you think your pet could use a general sleep boost, CBD might help.
In an animal study, CBD was administered to several male rats, and improved sleep times were observed compared to placebo. This study also points to possible improvements in sleep latency during the day (wakefulness). Dosage guidelines will vary considerably from rat to dog or cat, but research suggests a promising interaction between CBD and improved sleep quality.
CBD for pets: questions and answers
Having seen the six potential benefits of CBD oil for pets, it’s time to clear up some questions about CBD products for animals. Whether it’s oils, snacks or cannabidiol pills for dogs and cats, here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions.
- Is CBD oil safe for pets?
- While the evidence seems positive when it comes to CBD and pets, it’s important to remember that every animal is different. Regarding the consumption of CBD by humans, we always advise prudence and that each person take CBD at their own pace; and the same applies to dogs and cats.
- How can I give CBD to my pet?
- One of the main advantages of CBD is its versatility, which means that it is available in the form of oils, snacks or pills. For CBD oil, the most common option, you can try putting a few drops directly into your pet’s mouth. If this is too much of a hassle, you can simply add the same number of drops to their food or water.
- What side effects does CBD produce?
- Most studies have found limited side effects in pets, but it’s still worth knowing what they are. In some dogs and cats, CBD can cause dry mouth, low blood pressure, and drowsiness. At best, most of these side effects will be mild, but keep in mind that they are more likely to occur with higher doses.
- What is the ideal dose of CBD oil for pets?
- The ideal dose of CBD will depend on your dog or cat’s age, breed, sensitivity, and lifestyle. Therefore, you should start with a lower dose than usual and gradually increase it to see how it responds to CBD. Once you achieve the desired effect, maintain a constant dosage and dosing frequency.
- Where can I buy CBD oil for my pet?
- Cibdol offers an exclusive selection of CBD oils, snacks and pills for dogs and cats. Our CBD formulas for pets are designed specifically for our furry friends, so they have the best experience possible. We ship our products throughout Europe, and you will find the full range in our CBD product page.
If you want to try CBD for yourself or your pet, visit the cibdol store to view a large selection of oils, creams, capsules, supplements and much more. Or if you want to know more about the benefits of CBD for pets, visit our CBD Encyclopedia.